Christmas is a time of year when many people naturally find themselves in need of a skip, but there are issues with skip hire over Christmas that you may need to consider.
There are a whole host of reasons why you might need to hire a skip this Christmas, for example:
- Replacing tired old furniture or appliances with a new three piece suite or labour-saving device.
- Clearing out the junk from the spare room for relatives to stay over the festive period.
- Dealing with waste from pre-Christmas home improvement or decorating.
- Using your time off work to tackle all of those gardening tasks you've been putting off.
- Dealing with the aftermath of a big festive party.
- Not to mention, of course, recycling all of that wrapping, packaging, and the poor, old Christmas tree once it's all over.
For any of these tasks a small 4yd skip or medium-sized 6yd skip can be an ideal solution and save you dozens of trips back and forth to the local recycling centre.
There are two principle issues with hiring a skip over the Christmas period.
First, many skip hire companies close for an extended period around the Christmas break, so you may find it tricky to find a skip for the dates you want. AMA can save you a chore here, as our nationwide skip hire service means we can usually find someone able to help on your preferred dates and at a price you'll like.
The second thing to consider, if you need to leave your skip on the road (if you have a driveway or off-street area for your skip, this doesn't apply to you), is that lots of local authorities have special restrictions around the Christmas period regarding the placement of skips on the highway. This can be a real problem, particularly if you live in a big city, or close to a town centre. The restrictions vary from place to place, but as an example, Westminster Council do not allow skips to be placed on the street between the 22nd of December and 2nd of January, Greenwich requires skips to be removed from the road a week before Christmas, and if you are unlucky enough to live in the middle of a Shropshire town, extra restrictions come into force as early as the second week in November. All this shows the value of local knowledge, which is where AMA's network of local skip hire providers comes into its own and can help you find the information you need to plan your skip hire over Christmas and New Year.
Merry Christmas to all our customers.