Hot on the heels of World Environment Day on June 5 th, comes National Recycling Week in the UK - a whole week dedicated to educating people about the benefits of recycling, its effect on the environment and how everyone can get involved.
Every year, National Recycling Week has a theme and this year it's â€œrecycling around the home." Here at AMA we've talked at length in the past about all the ways you can recycle in your daily life, whether at home, work or in a business your run â€“ and this week is the perfect opportunity to put some of our top tips into practice.
So, to get you in the mood for National Recycling Week and refresh your mind with all the possibilities, here are AMA's top 5 recycling tips:
- You might have your home recycling down, but keep an eye out for the opportunity to reduce, reuse and recycle wherever you go. Whether you're on a family picnic, at a sporting event, out shopping in the city or even at work â€“ these days recycling bins are never far away, so there's no excuse to not pitch in. You'd be surprised how much waste events, both big and small, can produce â€“ check out our World Cup 2014 posts for an example.
- Everyone knows that there are some things you can't put in a skip, and even some that can't be recycled â€“ but the trick is to know exactly what. Knowing what waste can be recycled and making sure that your waste removal company actually does dispose of it properly is key to staying green this week. To find out what you can and can't put in a skip, take a look at this handy infographic. Remember to hire a skip from a company committed to recycling â€“ here at AMA we aim to recycle over 80% of all the waste we handle.
- The time for spring cleaning might have passed, but no matter when you get the urge to clean your house, remember to be green. From disposing of cleaning chemicals in a responsible way to composting garden waste, decorating your bedroom with environmentally-friendly paint and recycling or reusing furniture, there are plenty of ways to tidy up your home and stay green. Read our recent post on spring cleaning to find out more!
- One of the easiest ways to ensure that you're recycling and keeping green this week, no matter what waste clearance you're up to, is by hiring a skip. By hiring a skip from an environmentally friendly company, just like us here at AMA, you can be sure that as much of your waste is recycled as possible â€“ whether you're tidying the garden, decorating the house or even building an extension. It might seem a little daunting at first, hiring a skip, but earlier this year we produced a PDF guide giving you some tips to make it simpleâ€“ click here to read the guide and become a green skip-hiring pro this week.
- You might be a recycling pro by now, especially if you follow all of our top tips, but just think of the great impact you can have this week if you involve your friends too! Whether you involve your friends and family, or take a few of your waste-saving and recycling ideas into work with you, this week is the perfect opportunity to indulge in some community spirit and see just how green you can all be. You might even be able to permanently change some of your friends' recycling habits, helping to make the world a better place long after Recycling Week is over!
So, whether you have need of a skip to recycle on a massive scale, or are just going to recycle your daily waste or even try and introduce a little environmental friendliness to your friends or co-workers â€“ this is the week to get involved.
Recycling is so easy and so accessible that everyone can do it, and no matter how green you think you already are there's sure to be a few ways you can improve. We'll be back later this week to take another look at the national recycling effort and to find out a little more about how you can improve recycling in your workplace.